I made a costume based on Lillie from Pokemon Sun & Moon at the end of last year. Here's my quick run down on its construction!
Ah, cosplay… Here I am making a summer dress in the middle of winter. Maybe the short hours of sunlight contributed to my desire to make a costume for Lillie from Pokemon Sun and Moon (which is a really fun update to the game series, by the way!)
Lillie’s dress is very simple. Her outfit is a sleeveless A-Line dress with a Peter Pan collar. This would be a great project for a beginner cosplayer!
I decided to embellish the cosplay a little after seeing some very cute fan art of her with ruffles and big skirt volume. Sometimes it’s fun to play up simple costumes.
I started by drafting out an A-Line dress with princess seams from the shoulder and a V shaped neckline. I curved the hem so there would be 6 scallops total when the dress was assembled. I used a cotton stretch sateen for the dress.
After constructing the dress, I cut out and assembled the Peter Pan collar in lilac satin fabric. I created cuffs for her socks in a similar manner. After attaching the collar, I appliquéd the teardrop shapes to the dress hem using the same satin fabric.
While I planned to wear a petticoat under the dress, I wanted the dress to have some shape on its own. I lined the hem with 1” horsehair to give it extra lift.
For Lillie’s hat, I bought the biggest brimmed sun hat I could find. I made a ribbon out of lilac satin to tie around the cap. I traced out the shape of the hat on to the satin to create a lining. The donut shaped lining was then attached to the underside of the hat’s brim with no-sew fusible tape.
The ruffles are lilac tulle petticoat that is just long enough to peek out from underneath the dress. I wore a second shorter petticoat under that to give the costume the poof I wanted.
The wig for Lillie is a Nina in Pale Blonde and long wefts in Pale Blonde from Arda Wigs. I cut it, straightened out the curls and added extra hair to the braids in the front of the wig.
Sadly, Lillie’s official replica bag is a Japan exclusive, so eBay was my only option for getting one here in the US in time for taking photos. That alone cost more than the materials to make the cosplay!
All in all, this costume took me a few evenings to make & was an affordable project (minus the bag.)
Here’s the end results!
This is a great weekend project for a Pokemon fan & a comfortable summer convention costume! If you are making this costume and have questions for me, leave a comment below.
I have a supply list of products I have used or otherwise recommend.
They are compiled on this Amazon Page.
Many of my Tutorials include links to products I use that are part of the Amazon Affiliate program. Using these to make your purchase provides me with store credit that covers new supplies for this blog's projects!